There were some interesting speakers including Lord Coe, Doug Arnot – Director of Operations of the Games, Dragon Deborah Meaden, and athletes Jonathan Edwards and Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson who all highlighted how amazing this will be for our country, the biggest UK event we will see most probably in our lifetimes.
All fixed 2012 Olympic venues (34 of them) have been completed and handed over on time and on budget, very impressive!
Here are a few other interesting facts for you….
- 23,000 Security guards will man the games, with 70000 staff
- LOCOG suppliers together will provide 180,000 staff
- 2,000 buses and coaches will be shuttling people to and from the sites
- 2.5 million square feet of marquees will be set up
- 13,000 PC’s have been bought by LOCOG
- 14 million meals are expected to be served
- 10,000,000 spectators will attend
- 23,000 journalists will have access to the venues 2 weeks prior to the games opening.
- 2.7 million Bananas have been ordered for althletes alone.
We are incredibly excited about the Games; hope to see you down in Weymouth!